To create an incident using Slack, you will first need to configure the Slack Integration. See our Quick Start Guide for help on setting that up.
Once you have the Slack integration configured, type the following command:
- /rootly create "Help! This is a test incident"
You will be presented with a dialog to enter additional information about the incident, including a description, severity, environment, and so on. If you don't have all of the information for an incident when you create it, you can always enter it later. No additional information is required to create an incident except a title.
When finished adding incident details, click the Create button.
If you selected the option to "Automatically create a Slack channel when declaring a Rootly incident" during configuration of the Slack integration (the default), then a new channel will be created in Slack for this specific incident.
You will see information similar to the following:
It is also possible to see all of the current incident information via the Rootly web interface. In the navigation bar, click on Incidents, then Incidents again, you can see the incident you just created.
You can list currently unresolved incidents in Slack by typing:
Once you are ready to resolve your incident, you have the option of resolving it via the web interface (discussed earlier in this document) or through Slack.
To resolve the incident via Slack, type the following command in the channel specific to that incident:
A dialog will be presented where you can enter an explanation for the resolution, and then click Submit. Note that if you select "Mark incident as Mitigated", you will still need to resolve that incident later via Slack or the web interface.
If you aren't sure what command you need to type in Slack, or to see all available commands, type:
Supported commands that can be used anywhere in Slack:
- /rootly create | new <title> - This will create a new incident with a dedicated channel.
- /rootly list - This will display a list of up to ten incidents.
- /rootly help - Shows available commands for interacting with the Rootly Slack bot.
Supported commands that can only be used from an incident's Slack channel:
- /rootly add event <note> - This will create a new event and add it to the timeline event.
- /rootly add action item - This will create a new action item and add it to your incident.
- /rootly add team - This will attach a team to an incident.
- /rootly add service - This will attach a service to an incident.
- /rootly add functionality - This will attach a functionality to an incident.
- /rootly mitigate - This will mark an incident as mitigated.
- /rootly resolve - This will mark an incident as resolved.
- /rootly publish - This will publish an incident and make it visible to your public status pages.